Working in the Netherlands: which documents do you need?

On November 8, 2019 by Dutch Umbrella Company

You’re starting your job as a highly skilled migrant in the Netherlands. Good for you. It’s fun here. Not only because living and working in this country is a great step for your career, also because it’s extremely fun to live and work here. But prior to starting your job, it’s important to have a few important documents sorted out. In this blog we talk about the needed documents and why they are so important. And of course: how to obtain them.

What is the role of Dutch Umbrella Company?

We regularly get asked if we help employees finding a job in the Netherlands. The answer is: no, we don’t. There are other parties, such as recruitment and placement agencies, who fulfill this task. As an umbrella company, we do not recruit and or place workers at different employers. We merely serve as a professional employment organization, specialized in processing payroll for local and foreign employees working in the Netherlands.

Now that you are aware of that, let’s head to the important part of this blog: the documents and that you will need to start your career in the Dutch workfield.

Which documents do I need before starting to work in the Netherlands?

If you are from a country that is not Switzerland or a part of the EU/EER, there are several ways to obtain a residence or working permit.

When you want to work, live or study in the Netherlands, but you are from a country that is not part of the EU/EER or Switzerland, there are several possibilities to obtain a residence or working permit.

1. A Citizen Service Number (BSN or Burgerservicenummer).

A Dutch Citizen Service Number is mandatory if you want to start working in the Netherlands. Everyone living here, is obliged to register in the Basic Registration Persons (BRP). This database contains information about everyone living in, working in and leaving the Netherlands. The Citizen Service Number is issued with the first registration in the BRP. The BSN is a unique code linked to your personal data and information. It is needed for all contact with the government, health insurers and employers.Dutch Umbrella Company can assist you in obtaining one.

2. A Dutch bank account.

A Dutch bank account is mandatory if you want to work in the Netherlands. It is required by the Dutch government to have one. Mainly because your salary will be deposited into your Dutch bank account. It is important that you always have access to financial means, without having to rely on social security. That is why it is necessary to open a Dutch IBAN bank account. Dutch Umbrella Company can help you with opening a Dutch bank account, in combination with BSN and, if necessary, a residence permit.Dutch Umbrella Company can assist you in obtaining one.

3. The right residence documents or work permits.

Of course, you need to have the right residence documents before starting to work here. If you are from a country that is not Switzerland or a part of the EU/EER, there are several ways to obtain a residence or working permit.In general, there are two ways to obtain these permits:

  1. If you wish to work in the Netherlands for a period shorter than 90 days, you need a short stay visa and a complementing work permit (TWV). The visa can be obtained via the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The TWV can be obtained via the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). The UWV assesses the application in relation to the demand for the relevant job on the Dutch labour market.
  2. If you wish to work in the Netherlands for a period longer than 90 days, an employer can apply for a combined permit for residence and work (GVVA). Your employer submits a request to the IND, whereupon the IND requests the UWV for a recommendation on the scarcity of the Dutch labour market. The GVVA consists of a residence document and a complementing document that states for which employer you may work.

So in short: the IND is responsible for granting you a permit of residence and the UWV grants the working permit. However, there are some exceptions. For example the permit for highly skilled migrants and the orientation year for highly educated persons. Regardless of the permit you want to request, you will always need:

  • A valid passport or identification.
  • A statement of antecedents.
  • A medical examination in the Netherlands for tuberculosis (TB).

Dutch Umbrella Company can assist you to obtain these permits.

Are there any conditions that apply to migrants that are not from Switzerland or the EU/EER?

Yes. There are several conditions that apply to migrants with a nationality other than the EU/EER or Switzerland. If this is the situation you’re in, the following conditions apply:

  1. You must be in possession of an employment contract with an employer or research institution that is a recognized sponsor by the Dutch Immigration & Naturalisation Services (IND).
  2. You need to earn sufficient income and you will need to prove this. The monthly salary requirements (2019 and excluding 8% holiday payment) for highly skilled migrants in the Netherlands are:
    • A highly skilled migrant 30 years and older: € 4.500,00.
    • A highly skilled migrant younger than 30 years: € 3.299,00.
    • A highly skilled migrant, after orientation year highly educated persons, graduation, Ph.D. or scientific research: € 2.364,00.

On a final note

Be aware of the fact that the responsibility for issuing the documents and paperwork is both yours and your employer’s. Make sure you contact the umbrella company − Dutch Umbrella Company in this case − to save yourself the hassle. In the next blog, we explain more about the importance of an IND recognized partner and why it saves you loads of valuable time.

Do you have more questions regarding the obliged paperwork prior to your start in the Dutch workfield? Don’t hesitate to contact us. We are happy to help you out!