Work permits

When you want to work, live or study in the Netherlands, but you are from a country that is not part of the EU/EER or Switzerland, there are several possibilities to obtain a residence or working permit.

Do you want to know more about (work) permits?

There are several possibilities to obtain a residence or working permit:

  • If you wish to work for a period less than 90 days, you generally need a short stay visa and a complementing work permit (TWV). The visa can be obtained via the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The TWV can be obtained via the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). The UWV assesses the application in relation to the demand for the relevant job on the Dutch labour market. They determine whether there is a scarcity, and therefore the need to hire a foreign employee.
  • If you wish to work for more than 90 days, an employer can apply for a combined permit for residence and work (GVVA). The employer submits the request to the IND, whereupon the IND requests the UWV for a recommendation on the scarcity on the Dutch labour market. The GVVA consists of a residence document and a complementing document that states for which employer you may work.

Are there any exceptions?

Normally, when applying for a stay for more than 90 days, you have to apply for a Regular Provisional Residence Permit (MVV). Exceptions apply to people with a nationality from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Vatican City, United States of America or South Korea. The MVV is issued at the Dutch embassy in the requestor its native country.

In short: the IND is responsible for granting you a permit of residence and, in a complementary manner, the UWV grants the working permit. However, there are some exceptions. For example the permit for highly skilled migrants and the orientation year for highly educated persons. Regardless the permit you want to request, you will always need:

  • A valid passport or identification.
  • A statement of antecedents.
  • A medical examination in the Netherlands for tuberculosis (tbc).

Did you know:

  • There are exceptions whereby a person with a nationality other than mentioned above may also be exempted from the MVV requirement?
  • Students must have a work permit complementing their residence permit when they want to work?
  • Family members often don’t have restrictions to work, so no TWV is needed?

Contact information

Are you interested, or in need of more information? Please do not hesitate to contact us. We will happily answer all your questions regarding immigration, work- and residence permits. You can contact us by phone on +31 20 820 15 60 or by email via