Living in The Netherlands: Registering in a municipality

On November 16, 2015 by Dutch Umbrella Company

When you move to The Netherlands, one of the first things you will want to do is register with the personal records database (Basisregistratie personen, BPR) of your local municipality. To do this you will have to make an appointment with your town hall (gemeentehuis); details of which can be found online.

In addition to registering as a resident of The Netherlands, you will also be applying for a personal Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN). Your children must also be registered and so it makes sense to apply for their BSN at the same time.This number allows you to, among others, open a bank account, take out health insurance, apply for a Dutch driving licence and work in The Netherlands. During your interview, you will be asked to produce a number of documents in order to register and receive your BSN. They are:

  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Photograph identification (not a driving licence)
  • Proof or registered address in The Netherlands (rental contract, utility bill)
  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)

N.B. Your birth certificate copy must be apostilled (legally certified as a true copy) not more than 6 months prior to your appointment. You may be able to register without an apostille, although there may be restrictions as to what you can do in The Netherlands until it is provided.

There are additionally required documents for those entering The Netherlands from outside of the European Union. These are:

  • Residence permit/ Visa, the Dutch Umbrella Company can arrange these documents for your employees fast, easy and without hassle.
  • Employment contract

WePayPeople is NEN certified and provides an expedited BSN application process to contractors using our umbrella services and employees of employers using our payroll services.


Do you have any questions concerning the contents of this blog? Please do not hesitate to contact us at, and we will be happy to help.